We’re discussing fire extinguishers today…
Different fires require the use of different extinguishers…there are 5 primary types and most home improvement stores carry multipurpose types.
- Type A – For ordinary materials like cloth, wood, and paper. Typically found in homes and businesses
- Type B – For use with combustible and flammable liquids like grease, gasoline, oil, and oil-based paints. Often found in homes and businesses.
- Type C – Fore use with electrical equipment like appliances, tools, or other equipment that is plugged in. Also often found in homes and businesses.
- Type D – For use with flammable metals. Often found in factories.
- Type K – For use with animal oils, vegetable oils, and fats in cooking appliances. Often found in commercial kitchens. (restaurants, cafeterias, catering businesses)
Fire extinguishers can be helpful on a small fire.
If you’re unsure about whether or not it’s safe to use a fire extinguisher, and for all other situations, alert others, leave the building, and call 911 from a mobile or neighbor’s phone. It is not recommended that children use fire extinguishers.